2007年5月23日水曜日

Two Approaches for Teaching Vocabulary

Today we learned about two approaches for teaching vocabulary: the present and learn and the Learning through Input Approach. You can see a PowerPoint presentation of the approaches here. I would like to tell you about the strengths and weaknesses of each approach as well as the approach I would use as a Junior High School English teacher.


First, I will talk about the strengths and weaknesses of the Teaching and Learn Approach.

◇the strengths
・ It is little time that teachers explain and a lot of time that students practice and talk.
・ Students can understand with Japanese.
・ If teachers use flash cards, they can use many times .
・ Students can repeatedly see the new words.

◇the weaknesses
・ Students are immidiately bored by memorizing and studying.
・ There is no variety things , so the classes are unchanging if teachers take up various teaching materials.

Second, I will talk about the strengths and weaknesses of the Learning through Input Approach.

◇the strengths
・ Students can understand easily because of using cards or charts.
・ If teachers use simple things or contents, they can guess and translate new words.
・ They can repeatedly listen to new words.

◇the weaknesses
・ Teachers talk too much in the foreign language and the class is like a lecture in university. So, some students who aren't interested in it may be passive.
・ It is a lot of time that teachers explain and little time that students practice and talk.

Lastly as a junior high school English teacher I would fovor the Learning through Input Approach a hybird.

3 件のコメント:

satona さんのコメント...

Hi,micchan!!This is Satona☆
I agree to your opinion about the Learning through Input Approach.If teacher use a cards or charts,students are easy to image the vocabulary, I think so too.

nakki さんのコメント...

Hi!I'm Nakki.About Teaching through Input Approach I think its strength is that teachers can use target language a lot. But by reading your idea, I notice too using foreigh language is not effective.Teachers have to talk in
English moderately.It is very important for comprehensible lesson.

JH さんのコメント...

Hi Micchan,
I think you understand the strengths and weaknesses of both approaches very well. I would like to see your hybrid approach. How would you like to do it next week?
JH